Monday, November 8, 2010

Star of the Day

Since I'm in still in full-blown challenge-mode, I decided to keep going and cross a few more challenges off the list. Below is a greeting card I made last night. I started with dimensions from Papercraft Star. Their challenge, "Simon Says make a Card" called for Base 4.5 x 5.5, Double Mat #1: cut at 3 3/8 x 4 5/8, with another color cut at 3 1/4 x 4 1/4, Double Mat #2: cut at 2 3/4 x 4, with another color cut at 2 3/4 x 2 1/2, Add Ribbon, Add Button(s), & Add Punch or Die Cut. WOW- that's a lot of elements. I then looked to Color Throwdown for color suggestions- this card needs to be in shades of Kraft, Tangerine, Red and Marine.

I started with the marine as my base, and then layered rectangles of the kraft, tangerine and red, inking up each edge with chocolate ink before it was adhered. I also "dressed up" the edge of the red piece with my spiral punch (use a punch- check!). I ran some orange ribbon down the left side, pleating a bit as I went (ribbon-check!). I heat-embossed a fillagree star in black on the red cardstock, cut out and adhered with pop dots, and then added the "make a wish" saying on the marine label. I still needed to add buttons, but everwhere I placed them just ended up looking like an afterthought. Then I had the idea to fill the star with glitter glue and place random-sided buttons inside (buttons-check!).

These colors are not ones I would ever put together without coaxing from a challenge blog, but overall I'm pleased with the card, and especially the new button/glitter glue technique. I will definitely be trying that again on a layout! =)T


3 comments:

  1. What a fabulous card! Those colors look great together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I'm glad you gave the colors a try and ended up liking the result! Those buttons look great in your star! Thanks for joining us for the Color Throwdown!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome card! The star and buttons are so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments put a smile on my face, please let me know you stopped by!